Sometimes you want a high protein snack a little different form your go-to protein smoothie and who doesn’t love protein balls that taste like chocolate truffles?
Especially when they’re vegan, gluten-free AND packed with plant-based protein! These little balls of delight make the perfect post workout snack.
What makes these treats so great is that they’re easy to take with you on the go, or you can leave them in the fridge to snack on later. They’re also great to share with friends (if you’re okay with sharing – you may want to eat them all yourself).
Here’s our take on the classic protein ball recipe. We used this recipe with our protein powder on ABC’s Shark Tank in February 2017 – and it had the Sharks licking their teeth! Kevin O’Leary (Mr. Wonderful) himself gave our recipe a 9.4 – which we’ll take the liberty of rounding up to 10.
- 9 oz (1 1/4 cup) dairy free dark chocolate (70% cacao or higher)
- 1 can (13.66 oz) pure coconut milk
- 1 cup sliced almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 cup shredded coconut flakes
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 scoops of Ora Organic’s vanilla chai protein powder
- Carbs8 g
- Fat16 g
- Protein5 g
- Sugar1 g
- If the chocolate is in bar form, chop into small bits for easier melting
- Mix the protein powder with the coconut milk, blend until smooth
- In a pot, heat the protein + coconut milk mixture on medium high heat until simmering, stirring occasionally
- Turn off the heat and pour the chocolate into the pot of hot coconut milk, mix until thoroughly combined
- Add in ½ cup shredded coconut flakes and ½ cup chopped almonds, reserve the remaining ½ cups of each to roll the truffles in once cooled
- Refrigerate for 3 hours until semi-firm
- Roll 1 inch diameter truffle sized balls from the semi-firm chocolate (a #100 ice cream scoop that holds .375 oz helps make uniform balls)
- Roll ⅓ of the truffles in the remaining coconut flakes, ⅓ in sliced almonds and ⅓ in cocoa powder
- Serve and enjoy!